Carrying fresh vegetables across borders

Submitted: Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:33
ThreadID: 46517 Views:2004 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Setting off beginning of July from southern Vic to broken Hill, Tibooburra, Innamincka, Cordillo Downs, Birdsville, Big Red, then down to Flinders Ranges and gathering at Warraweena. This itinery dependent on roads/tracks being open. Destination still Flinders Ranges. Are there any problems carrying fruit and vegs from home? Do I have to worry about any border crossings, if so where?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:52

Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:52
You may encounter numerous Fruit Fly Checking Stations throughout your journey where your vehicles will be inspected. You would have been given an opportunity, upon approach to them, to dispose of specified fruit, vegetables, foodstuff etc (subject to local laws) and if you fail to comply you can expect to be fined for non-compliance. Have a good look at the following sites for specific information:

PIRSA
NSWDPI
Albury/Wodonga Fruit Fly
Aust Citrus Growers fight against Fruit Fly

Amongst these sites you should find an abundance of information, maps, explanations, legislation etc re your query. The authorities do take the spread of insect infestation and disease spread very seriously furthermore such introductions to specific growing areas are a real threat to local economies.
Have a great trip and enjoy yourselves wherever you go.
AnswerID: 246031

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:53

Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:53
Twinkles,
Went that to Birdsville last September and there was a bin on the Silver City Hwy Just before the town where Big Lizzy is. I stopped and ate or threw away my vegis and fruit...... Not too keen on being stopped. There is big fines. I just bought more at Broken hill.
AnswerID: 246032

Reply By: Twinkles - Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:55

Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:55
Thanks. I'll do the right thing.
AnswerID: 246034

Reply By: Member -Toonfish - Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 12:38

Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 12:38
you can take fruit and veg from mildura to broken hill but you must not cross into S.A from there with fruit and veg.
call into one of our fruit shops in centro plaza mildura or broken hill and say hi to me (brenden ).

have a good trip
2013/14 around oz adventure bound

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 246046

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 17:40

Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 17:40
Hi Brenden, Where are you supposed to get fresh supplies if you cross over above broken Hill?
I'll pop in if I can to say Hi Brenden.
FollowupID: 507015

Reply By: Member -Toonfish - Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 18:37

Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 18:37
tibooburra i think isnt it i actually havent been any further than the hill that way only further down south.
the girls work the broken hill store i rarely stay there for any long period only do the market runs and drop off very early.
2013/14 around oz adventure bound

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 246127

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:52

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:52
There are no friut fly checks after Mildura.
It is quite OK to bring friut to Broken Hill and beyond from Mildura.
Not too sure that there would be a problem with friut flies getting into friut trees at Tib, Cordillo ,Innaminka and Birdsville. Think they would need to get a GPS to find a fruit tree.
By the time you get to the Flinders, all their fruit comes from Adelaide or is certified anyway.
There is a fruit fly check at Oodlawirra if you go Broken Hill - Peterborough.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 246558

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Sunday, Jul 01, 2007 at 15:12

Sunday, Jul 01, 2007 at 15:12
We are heading over from Cobar - Broken Hill - Port Augusta on our way to WA. Route may change though since I'm looking at buying a mountain bike & picking it up in Adelaide on our way through, so not going through Oldawirra either way.

Looks like potatoes are allowed into NSW (broken hill) but not SA.
Something I'm not sure about is honey is allowed into Broken Hill and then again over the border into SA? I know it's most definitely banned at the WA border so plan on taking a small amount to use up before then.

Appreciate anyones help on this otherwise I'll try the 1800 number on Monday :)

Twinkles, I know there is a voluntary drop point just before Broken Hill and I believe there are some in Vic (or vic / nsw border?). Looks to me like you can stock up in Broken Hill and then you will be pretty right until you get back down south again (Oldawirra etc). If you have one of those road atlases the exclusion zone and checkpoints are clearly marked. The links provided offer good info, particularly on what is and isn't allowed. Just have to convince my husband to live on tinned veg for a week :).
AnswerID: 250160

Sponsored Links